White House Issues Final Ultimatum to Iran

As indirect talks mediated by Oman continue in Geneva, the military standoff has reached a fever pitch, leaving the Middle East bracing for a high-stakes decision from the Oval Office.

You may also like

Groundhog Day in Tehran? a man glances at a newspaper with a picture of U,S. president Donald Trump on the front page (2018).

 

ATTA KENARE / AFP

As indirect talks mediated by Oman continue in Geneva, the military standoff has reached a fever pitch, leaving the Middle East bracing for a high-stakes decision from the Oval Office.

The White House warned on Wednesday, February 19th that Iran would be “wise” to do a deal with the United States as President Donald Trump once again hinted at military action that could redefine regional stability.

The two sides recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman, after Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters

Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration.

A Wednesday post on his Truth Social site saw Trump again suggest that the U.S. might strike Iran, amid a U.S. military buildup now underway in the Middle East. CNN and CBS reported Wednesday that U.S. forces will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend—with Trump yet to make a final decision.

Earlier on Wednesday, Tehran’s top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, said Iran was “drafting” a framework for future talks with the U.S.

Iran and the U.S. held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on February 17th in Geneva. Araghchi said then that Tehran had agreed with Washington on “guiding principles,” but U.S. vice president JD Vance said Iran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington’s ‘red lines.’

Leave a Reply

Our community starts with you

Subscribe to any plan available in our store to comment, connect and be part of the conversation!

READ NEXT