Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud flotilla has developed into one of the most politically sensitive episodes surrounding Gaza in recent months. The operation itself was expected; the images and diplomatic fallout that followed were not.
The flotilla departed from Turkey last week as part of a new attempt to reach Gaza by sea and deliver humanitarian aid. Organisers said around 50 vessels carrying approximately 430 activists from 40 countries took part. Among them were journalists, doctors, aid workers and political activists from several European countries.
Similar flotilla attempts have taken place before. Israel has repeatedly intercepted missions seeking to challenge its naval blockade of Gaza, in force since 2007 after Hamas seized control of the territory.
Israeli authorities maintain the blockade is lawful and necessary to prevent weapons and military supplies from reaching Hamas. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the operation and described the convoy as a “provocative scheme” intended to undermine Israeli security measures.
Organisers presented a different objective. They said the flotilla sought both to deliver humanitarian aid and draw attention to continuing shortages of food, medicine, and basic supplies in Gaza despite ceasefire arrangements and increased aid commitments.
Israeli naval forces intercepted the convoy in international waters and transferred activists onto Israeli vessels before bringing them to Ashdod port in southern Israel.
The controversy began after Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir published footage showing detainees kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs and foreheads lowered to the ground. Israel’s national anthem could be heard in the background while Ben Gvir appeared carrying an Israeli flag and moving among detainees. The video was posted with the caption “Welcome to Israel.”
ככה אנחנו מקבלים את תומכי הטרור
— איתמר בן גביר (@itamarbengvir) May 20, 2026
Welcome to Israel 🇮🇱 pic.twitter.com/7Hf8cAg7fC
Additional footage appeared to show one activist being forced to the ground after shouting pro-Palestinian slogans.
Ben Gvir later defended his actions and described flotilla participants as “terror supporters,” arguing that anyone attempting to support Hamas-related causes should be treated firmly.
The reaction was immediate and unusually broad. Netanyahu publicly criticised his own minister while still defending Israel’s right to stop the flotilla.
“Israel has every right to prevent provocative flotillas of Hamas supporters from reaching Gaza,” Netanyahu said. But he added that Ben Gvir’s conduct “was not in line with Israel’s values and norms.” He instructed authorities to deport the activists as quickly as possible.
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar adopted an even stronger position.
“You knowingly caused harm to our State in this disgraceful display—and not for the first time,” Sa’ar wrote on X. “You are not the face of Israel.”
You knowingly caused harm to our State in this disgraceful display – and not for the first time.
— Gideon Sa'ar | גדעון סער (@gidonsaar) May 20, 2026
You have undone tremendous, professional, and successful efforts made by so many people – from IDF soldiers to Foreign Ministry staff and many others.
No, you are not the face of… https://t.co/KOj6fhpyM7
The public dispute exposed tensions inside Netanyahu’s coalition and highlighted the difficulties posed by Ben Gvir, one of the government’s most controversial figures.
International criticism quickly expanded. France summoned Israel’s ambassador. Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Portugal took similar steps. Italy demanded explanations and an apology.
Italian prime minister Giorgia Meloni described the treatment as “intolerable.” Irish officials said they were “appalled and shocked.” Germany’s ambassador to Israel called the scenes “wholly unacceptable.”
Le immagini del ministro israeliano Ben Gvir sono inaccettabili. È inammissibile che questi manifestanti, fra cui molti cittadini italiani, vengano sottoposti a questo trattamento lesivo della dignità della persona.
— Giorgia Meloni (@GiorgiaMeloni) May 20, 2026
Il Governo italiano sta immediatamente compiendo, ai più alti…
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said she was “truly appalled” and demanded clarification from Israeli authorities.
Criticism even emerged from traditionally supportive voices. U.S. ambassador Mike Huckabee called Ben Gvir’s actions “despicable,” although he also dismissed the flotilla itself as “a stupid stunt.”
Israel rejects accusations of widespread mistreatment and says detainees are being processed according to legal procedures before deportation.
For Netanyahu, however, the problems are now beyond one controversial video.
Israel prevented the flotilla from reaching Gaza. But the political damage created by the images may prove harder to contain, particularly at a moment when the government already faces mounting international pressure and internal political strain. And the elections are also around the corner.
The boats never reached Gaza. The consequences of what happened after the interception may travel considerably further.


